Thursday, April 29, 2010

Thursday Discussion Starter: More on Bibles

Since I last wrote about looking at Bibles available for children, I've run across a couple more versions written at about a third grade reading level. At least one is a translation I wouldn't touch with the proverbial 10-foot pole, but others appear to be all right. So far I haven't found an New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) written at that level. When we had a thriving Sunday School at my parish, children were usually given a Bible when they finished the fourth-grade class. It was always the NRSV. But it doesn't do much good if you can't read it and understand what you're reading. I dread the thought of a 10 or 11-year-old trying to wade through the King James Version! So how do we make sure the Bible is accessible to our children of all ages and reading levels? Where do we find good translations with notes and supplemental material that are in line with our theology? Thoughts, anyone?

No comments: